MagicSoft Recorder is an ingest application designed for the broadcast and post-production markets.
The supported operating systems are Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 and Windows Server 2012 / 2016 ( 64-bit versions only ).
It is particularly useful for multicam ingest and conformance recording because it supports up to 8 video inputs and each input supports 2 simultaneous recordings.
The supported video modes are :
4K UHD 23.98 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 30 / 50 / 59.94 / 60
HD1080p 23.98 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 /30 / 50 /59.94 /60
HD1080i 50 / 59.94
HD720p 50 / 59.94
SD PAL / NTSC
The program supports inputs from AJA, DeckLink, Intensity cards and NDI
For cards, the input can be set either analog or digital (depending on the card)
MagicSoft Recorder Viewer application adds the possibility to preview the recorded files and has the capability to output to a Decklink or Intensity card.
Related to the video, the viewer allows you to :
- set and play between "Mark In" and "Mark Out" points
- preview each frame
- change the type of interlacing and swap fields
Related to the audio, the viewer allows you to :
- monitor each audio track
- route audio for up to 16 channels
MagicSoft Recorder has modules for :
- "TimeCode and NLE support" that adds support for timecode (LTC / RP 188 / RS422), inserting marks and saving projects for Final Cut Pro/Edius/Premiere/Vegas
- "Web Browser Remote" that adds support for monitoring and managing the channels by using a web browser from Windows/MacOSX/iOS/Android
- "Transcoder" that allows you convert and record any input resolution into the desired video format ( ex : if you have NTSC input you can transcode it into PAL ).
- "Closed caption" for capturing CC into media file (with H264 codec) and as well into separate .scc, .srt and .webvtt files.
The list of the supported video codecs and containers:
- AVC Intra 50 and AVC Intra 100 .mxf
- H264 8 bit .mp4 / .mov / .avi / .mkv and transport stream
- H264 10 bit .mp4 / .mov / .avi / .mkv and transport stream
- HEVC 8 bit .mp4 / .mov / .avi / .mkv and transport stream
- HEVC 10 bit .mp4 / .mov / .avi / .mkv and transport stream
- H264 8 bit using nVidia .mp4 / .mov / .avi / .mkv and transport stream
- HEVC 8 bit using nVidia .mp4 / .mov / .avi /.mkv and transport stream
- HEVC10 bit using nVidia .mp4 / .mov / .avi /.mkv and transport stream
- H264 8 bit using AMD gpu .mp4 / .mov / .avi / .mkv and transport stream
- HEVC 8 bit using AMD gpu .mp4 / .mov / .avi /.mkv and transport stream
- XdCAM .mov and mxf
- ProRes .mov
- DNxHD 8 bit .mov and .mxf
- DNxHD 10 bit .mov and .mxf
- DNxHR .mov and .mxf
- Mpeg2 program stream and transport stream
- DV .avi /.mov /.mxf and rawDV
- DVCPRO .avi and .mov
- Uncompressed YUV 8 bit .avi and.mov
- Uncompressed YUV 10bit .avi and.mov
The software can generate proxy resolutions for all video modes.
Up-converted 1080i files can be generated when the input is set to SD (either 4/3 or 16 /9).
Down-converted files can be produced as follow :
- 1080i modes can produce down-converted PAL or NTSC
- 1080p (50 and 59.94) modes can produce down-converted 720p
- 4K UHD modes can produce down-converted 1080p
- 4K UHD (50 and 59.94) modes can also produce down-converted 720p
MagicSoft Recorder has several features that add value to the software :
- integrated scheduler
- support for managing BlackMagic Design Videohub switcher over the network.
- storage management for each assigned folder for recording
Features added by MagicSoft Recorder ver 4 :
- support for NDI inputs (both YUV and RGBA modes are supported)
- possibility to set a workflow for capturing on 8 bit or 10 bit for the incoming video
- a lower CPU and RAM bandwidth consumption are archived for an 8 bit capturing workflow
- using an intermediary storage buffer to overcome the storage problems encountered when using an over-the-network storage
- added indicators into the user interface for the level of input buffer and storage buffer
By default, Magicsoft Recorder is able to resume automatically a recording operation in cases like :
- lost input signal
- computer restart
- video mode changed (if the channel is set on "Auto-detect" mode)
The software contains a watch-dog application that ensures the functionality of the MagicSoft Recorder and sends the status and alerts by SMTP email.
MagicSoft Recorder works for all video modes by capturing the input video as YUV 4:2:2 10 bit and it can process up to 16 audio channels (32 bit 48KHz) depending on capabilities on the used frame-buffer. The files can be stored locally or over the network shared locations.
Supported inputs (depending on the capability of the used cards) :
- SDI with audio embeded
- SDI with audio AES
- YUV with analog audio
- Composite with analog audio